The Qalgi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Qalgi

Education for Inupiat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alaska Native Writer or Storyteller on the Environment Award

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Rainey

Rainey
Admin

Alaska Conservation Foundation
Alaska Native Writer or Storyteller on the Environment Award
Nominations due: March 15th

Hello all,

Each year, Alaska Conservation Foundation recognizes individual leadership and achievement in a number of environmental categories. One of these award categories is for Alaska Native Writers or Storytellers on the Environment :
http://www.alaskaconservation.org/_pages/grants_amp_awards/awards/Alaska_Native_Writers_award.php

From the description on our website: "This award recognizes Native authors who write or use the spoken word to convey the importance of Alaska’s natural environment in their lives and culture. It recognizes writers and storytellers who use their literary prowess to reflect the need for sustaining Alaska’s ecosystems. Written or oral literary work that celebrates the deep connections between Alaska Native heritage and the environment should be submitted. Nominations in all genres are accepted, with a general limit of 7,000 words for essays or fiction. The award is accompanied by a cash prize to the recipient, and the winning piece may be published in a periodical. This award is made possible by a generous gift from Susan Cohn Rockefeller of New York."

Past honorees include Dr. Phyllis Fast, Larry Merculieff and James Angaiak.

As you will note on our website, ACF has not made an award in this category in 2007, 2008, or 2009. I'd like to change that & see if we can recognize an Alaska Native writer this year. To that end, if you are interested in applying/being nominated for this award, or you know of an individual that should be recognized, please contact me at (907) 276-1917 x. 105 or by email. I am happy to help anyone with submissions!

The deadline is March 15th, which I realize is a short turn-around. Given the nature of the award, I presume interested candidates would have a written or oral piece already on hand to submit.

Please let me know any questions, and thank you for circulating this to others who might be interested.

Best,

Polly Carr
Program Officer for Community Capacity
Alaska Conservation Foundation
pcarr@alaskaconservation.org

https://theqalgi.forumotion.net

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum