The Qalgi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Qalgi

Education for Inupiat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Our vision for this forum

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Our vision for this forum Empty Our vision for this forum Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:42 pm

Rainey

Rainey
Admin

The Qalgi forum is a gathering place for students from the North Slope, student supporters, and people who have been through the system or have knowledge of the system to meet up and share encouragement and band together.

There is a need for mentors for students going to college that are from our villages. As many of us know, it's a very different world when you leave to get your education, one that is filled with doubt, homesickness, and a hundred other little road blocks in our move to become self empowered. And the change is double for those from the villages of the Arctic Slope.

I'm issuing a call for mentors. For shoulders to lean on. For a pair of ears. For those willing to hunt, to deliver native foods. For those to give rides. For those that are willing even, just to answer an email.

It's time to end this western image that you have to go through college alone and without emotional support from your villagers. And it's time for those of us that have already been through the system to give back to those that are following. All knowledge is needed. All knowledge is precious. There is no failure when it comes to experience.

If you have been through the education system or are still in it and wish to encourage those that are finding the experience to be harder than they thought, add your voice.

Do you need to be a Native of the North Slope? The answer is NO! All support is welcome and encouraged.

Of you are interested in becoming a mentor please send a PM to Admin. If you are a student please use this forum...it was created to support you!

https://theqalgi.forumotion.net

aqugaq

We have high school students who wants more from education, insite in the world views, learning to become independent from village life and make more for themselves. I hope this site might be a good place for high school students at boarding schools also - i.e. Mt. Edgecumbe - Galena and so forth. A place to keep in touch and receive advise and support, so I went and forward this to my son and know sometimes children like others to consult with other than parents. Thanks!

3Our vision for this forum Empty Re: Our vision for this forum Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:54 pm

Rainey

Rainey
Admin

Thanks!

You are so right. This place is a place for all that are interested in furthering their education!

https://theqalgi.forumotion.net

4Our vision for this forum Empty Online Qalgi Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:14 pm

Qaummaluk Munden

Rainey,

I think this is an important and beautiful idea.

Aarigaa! - Natalie

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum